Sevillas market places are closely linked to the most recent history of its neighborhoods and the people who inhabit them. They are places where you don’t just shop.
Most of the fresh goods needed for cooking are found here, but so are social relationships, almost as important to life as the food itself.
Here we present three of the oldest in the city.
The Feria Market
Among the Seville markets, this is perhaps the oldest, dating from a first construction in 1719, in which only bread was sold.
It was later expanded in 1837, although it was not completely finished until 1925. One of its most recent restorations and modifications were carried out in 1982.
Two historical buildings surround it: the Palace of the Marquises of La Algava, the current Mudéjar Center and the 14th century Church of the Omnium Sanctorum and a good example of this style.
Its people are of a great social and cultural variety, blending in perfect harmony the environment of the descendants of several generations of inhabitants of the neighborhood with others of different origins and propensity for alternative ways of life.
Following the trend of the European markets in recent years, we find stalls selling food products and a wide range of bars where to eat them cooked.
The Encarnación Market
The original market dates from 1842. It was built on the site of the medieval convent of La Ecarnación and was demolished in 1973 due to structural problems. A provisional market is then built that will remain for 37 year
In 2004 the Seville City Council launched an international ideas competition, which was won by the German architect Jürgen Mayer, with a project known as Metropol Parasol.
This project, started in 2005, almost doubled the expected costs and delaysed its inauguration from 2007 to March 2011. It´s 150 meters long, 70 meters wide and has an approximate height of 26 meters.
It was not without controversy the construction of such a modern building in the historic center. Precisely this contrast is today one of its main attractions. Added to this are the possibility of visiting the Antiquarium museum, enjoying spectacular views of the viewpoint and regaining strength in the bars that surround it.
The Triana Market
Located on the other bank of the Guadalquivir, in the neighborhood of the same name, used as a market since the 19th century and reopened in 2001, after years of archaeological and construction work.
It is located on the ruins of the old Castillo de San Jorge, former headquarters of the Inquisition and current The Tolerance Thematic Center. It is an interesting example of the typical mix of brick and ceramic, both materials closely linked to the neighborhood
Inside we find a great offer of local products, places to have breakfast, lunch and even learn to cook and perhaps even a small theater !!